It can be modern or classic, but either way black & white is a killer color combo that never fails. And as I anticipate what my fall wardrobe will look like, I’m leaning heavily towards this bold look to get me through the season. Here are some of my favorite street style looks so far.
Just because fall is right around the corner doesn’t mean it’s time to pack away all of your summer favorites. I love wearing a maxi skirt with sandals all summer long, but I also can’t wait to mix in some of my favorite fall pieces.
Her felt hat and chunky knit sweater are such a great way to make her ethereal pleated maxi skirt fall-ready. And I don’t know about you, but leopard print accessories always make me think of colder weather… Mara’s bag is perfect!
Feeling inspired? Shop our gorgeous maxi skirts from the Crossroads Online Shop! Here’s a sample of what’s waiting for you:
Photo credits: M Loves M
Meet Caroline Curran, the super chic, hilarious and down-to-earth SF blogger behind Perfect 10 SF. From OOTD’s to family stories, Harry Potter obsessions to favorite designer collections, Caroline shares all of her perfect moments and finds with her readers.
So as an homage to the “perfect” theme of Perfect 10 SF, I’ve asked Caroline to fill in some blanks for us–and her responses are outstanding.
Caroline, describe your perfect…
1. Vacation. Lake Tahoe, Dublin or Stockholm.
2. Cocktail. A mojito or ANY and EVERY cocktail from Bar Agricole. (I also love beer: Anchor Steam, Blue Moon, Magnolia Brewing Co.).
3. Handbag. Classic: anything Chanel quilted. Contemporary: Mansur Gavriel or Alexander Wang’s Rockie.
4. Way to keep fit. Co-ed basketball league with my husband and friends at University of California at San Francisco or running through Golden Gate Park.
5. Day in San Francisco. Toughest question ever! Spending the day in Golden Gate Park going to the deYoung, Conservatory of Flowers, paddle boats; trying a new ice cream spot; going to a show at the Curran Theatre.
6. Date. That’s a tough one. I’d have to say April 25th. Because it’s not too hot, not too cold; all you need is a light jacket.*
Perfect date. Early dinner at Beretta and then a walk along the Embarcadero to Pier 39 to play air hockey and ski ball at the arcade. I also love going to drinks and then a lecture at City Arts and Lectures or a musical at the Curran Theatre. I can’t wait to see Motown.
[I'm not sure which answer I like best, but I'd like to offer Caroline a friendly challenge to an air hockey match next time I'm in town. Winner gets a new pair of shoes.]
7. Shoes. ALL SHOES! [I knew I liked this girl.] Chanel, Jenni Kayne, Anyi Lu, J. Crew, Alexander Wang, Rag & Bone, Prada, J.P. Crickets, Miu Miu, Fendi, Isabel Marant.
8. Designer. Oscar de la Renta (my wedding dress was ODLR), Carolina Herrera, Amy Smilovic of Tibi, Alexander Wang, Melissa Fleiss, Proenza Schouler.
9. Live music show. Haim or Sia at the Fillmore, Ben Gibbard at the Palace of Fine Arts, James Taylor at the Orpheum, Harry Connick, Jr., Jenny Lewis with Rilo Kiley at The Regency, and for a fun night with friends, FOREVERLAND at Bimbos!
10. Crossroads find. Cantebury of New Zealand striped sweater, Prabul Gurung heels.
We’re soaking up this last month of summer, for soon it’ll be time to head back to school. Not going? That’s okay. This year, back-to-school style is for everyone.
Rachel of Jag Lever and one of our Crossroads Style Council members, nails the back-to-school look with this strappy plaid number that whispers, fall’s coming, while still keeping you comfy and cool in the dog days of summer. But just in case you do need an extra layer, I’m loving Rachel’s denim button up–it looks great over her dress, and it’s super cute tied around her waist. And those boots. Yup, we’re ready to go back to school.
Here are some of my top picks for back-to-school… And the best part? All 9 pieces can be mixed ‘n’ matched.
What are you wearing back to school?
Photo credits: Jag Lever
What comes to mind when you think of the 1986 blockbuster Top Gun? Fighter planes, aviators, Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer at their hottest? That’s all fine, but what about Kelly McGillis and her killer style? Don’t know who or what I’m talking about? Get your popcorn and settle in for a movie night–time for a Style Review.
1. That hair.
Oh yeah. She’s got some serious ’80s hair, but it’s soft and still looks good even after she’s been riding on the back of Maverick’s motorcycle–that’s pretty incredible for that era. Rather than try to copy her big-hair style, try a tousled bob with an extreme side part.
2. That bomber jacket.
This jacket, in my opinion, is the main character in the flick. As you can see from the pics above, Charlie wears it with work-appropriate white button-down blouses as well as jeans and a t-shirt. While I can’t condone the cut of her jeans nor the high-top sneakers she’s rocking, I do fully endorse the laid-back cool girl look she’s got going on. That, and her best accessory is Tom Cruise in a flight suit. But that’s not really fair.
3. That bomber jacket/pencil skirt combo.
There is so much style going on here… let’s break it down bit by bit. First, the bomber jacket: amazing by itself, but styled to perfection with pushed up sleeves. Sure, if she’s warm, it would’ve been a lot simpler to just remove the jacket, but that’s just a waste of an awesome jacket. Then there’s that blindingly white blouse and black pencil skirt–what a great counterpoint to the rough-and-tumble look of the bomber. And then there’s the giant envelope clutch: adding that to my wish list. And finally, hello gold jewelry. This could be a street style pic from NYFW–it’s that perfect.
4. That oversized blazer.
Okay, so not everyone can get away with wearing a bomber to the office. But that doesn’t mean you have to wear just any old boring blazer. Get an oversized one and you can roll up the sleeves and give it some style. Notice the white tee underneath? Yeah… That’s another instance of balancing out an outfit. Love.
5. Did I mention her hair?
Just look at her: Quintessential nonchalant beauty. Her expression says, Wow, I just noticed you’re like 5’2″.
Photo credit: Movpins
House of Chanel, you can do no wrong. With each season, I look forward to seeing what your wispy models will strut down the runway in. But right now, I’ve got my eye on your handbags. So classic, so perfect, so necessary for my closet. These street style stars have set their sights on you as well; take a looksy…
Typically, a preppy outfit conjures up images of snappy, well-tailored ensembles in red, white and blue, but one of our very own Crossroads Style Council members–Micaela of Drifter & the Gypsy–proves you can maintain your preppy cool while exploring fun color palettes like this key lime pie-inspired one:
I love how Micaela (styled by another one of our Style Council ladies, Beth Jones) went monochrome in citrus hues. The key lime theme makes theses conservative pieces fun, while accessories like her killer statement necklace break away from the preppy feel just enough to make it interesting.
Here are some more preppy outfits with a colorful twist…
Who’d have thought preppy could be so much fun?
Nothing says summer like peaches (peach ice cream… yummmm)–but why stop there? Shades of peach are just what your closet needs as we enter into the dog days of summer. And I’m not the only one who feels this way; check out these fab peach outfits:
Recently, a photo caught my eye on The Sartorialist. It’s of a man wearing typical “man-gear”: newsboy cap, blazer,button-down shirt, trousers, loafers. But in true Italian style (he was snapped by The Sartorialist, so of course he was jaunting around Italy), this man’s outfit consists of super stylish man-gear.
The statement piece is, of course, the blue smock. And if you were to describe this man’s overall outfit, most people would give it a thumbs down. Yet when you look at it… it works. How?
- Monochrome. When you’re going to wear something a little over-the-top, keep the color palette simple. This guy nails it with shades of blue from his hat to his socks.
- Semi-classic tailoring. The blazer is just a blazer. It’s not oversized; it’s not snug; it’s juuuust right. The trousers nudge the envelope just a touch above the knee, but since the smock nearly reaches his knees, all you really see is a classic cut.
- Subtle accessories. The loafers have large gold buckles. Can any other country get away with this, or is just Italy? And he’s got some sort of long-strapped bag casually slung over his shoulder. He’s not concerned with convincing anyone that it’s a Man Bag: it’s a sassy, strappy thing, and he’s making it work.
I think it’s refreshing to see a man take fashion risks, especially when the risks are wrapped in a moody color scheme and unusual pieces (hello, smock). What do you think? Are you ready to see more adventurous styling in men’s fashion?
When the big bullseye store starts prepping for back-to-school, then I know that fall is coming… eventually. Sure, I’ll fantasize about brisk days and cozy sweaters–but since it’s still early July–I’ll content myself with shopping for the summer pieces I’ve been lusting after for the last couple of months.
One of my favorite trends that will totally take me into fall is the drapey/flowy midi skirt. You can wear it with any top and your favorite sandals, pile on jewelry (especially the shiny, clinky kind) and automatically look chic.
You can shop this look here.
This lovely thing is 50% here.
Get this here.
The other look I love but sadly don’t have a whole lot of in my closet right now is the slouchy, slightly oversized light sweater/sweatshirt. It’s also another easy piece to transition into fall, and it looks so effortlessly chic.
Love this one.
And this one.
I’m definitely getting one of these tops and at least one of the skirts while it’s still summer… What else is on your summer trend list?