Chicago is known for many things: deep dish pizza, great museums and galleries, and the beauty of the city itself. It’s a little less known for all the creative and fashionable people who reside here, but I’m looking to help change that. I had the opportunity to interview some of the most stylish bloggers/creatives I follow, and the results were inspiring beyond belief. The first two people were Brandon and Desirée—a creative and a blogger, respectively.
- How would you define style?
Desirée: Style is your personality that comes across in your appearance. It can be the way you clothe yourself or the accessories you wear.
Brandon: Style is personal expression meets visuals. It can be the clothing, it can be accessories, it can be nail polish, it can be beads, it can be confidence. For me, it’s a way to express myself through the way I present myself.
- David Bowie once said, “I wanted to be thought of as someone who was very much a trendy person, rather than a trend.” How do you feel about that statement in our present time?
Desirée: If you’re trendy, you have a sensitivity to what’s going on around you and are able to pick up on it. But it’s something that continues to cycle. He was able to stay relevant for so long because he knew the difference.
Brandon: Everyone is into a certain look, a certain trend, a certain style. Yet that isn’t always authentic and genuine. I’m just a really big fan of being 100% yourself.
- If you had to wear only one designer or brand exclusively for three years, who would it be and why?
Desirée: I’d have to choose a designer and it would be Marc Jacobs. He just knows how to do so many things. He could do grunge or a polished-up lady Louis Vuitton look.
Brandon: Louis Vuitton would be the brand, mainly because of the rich history. He was able to bring [the brand] from a bag no one wanted, to a luxury luggage brand, then to a full fashion house. I really appreciate what the house represents because I’m all about the hustle and the grind.
Watch the full interview below!
The Fashion Spot has published their list of top walkers at New York Fashion Week, and I was pleased to see such a diverse group of women leading the runways. Models are often written off and not taken seriously, but these women (and men) make it possible to admire the beautiful art that we call fashion. Let’s take a moment and spotlight five NYFW models that took the runways by storm this year!
Jay has topped the Fashion Spot’s list two years in a row for walking the most shows (or tying for the most). She walked 14 shows this season, including Public School and Jeremy Scott.
This Jamaican native commanded the stage in 13 shows including Anna Sui, Oscar de la Renta, and Jason Wu.
One of my favorites on the list, Cong’s stunning beauty and fluid walk make her one of the top picks for the runway this year.
This one-name wonder walked a total of 13 NYFW shows this season—and from the looks of it, it won’t be the last we see from her.
Lia earned a spot on the list by walking in 13 shows, narrowly beating out her twin sister. Lia is continuing to build her resume by currently walking in London Fashion Week.
Take a look at the rest of the list here!
You know the girls—the ones that throw on the first t-shirt they see before running out the door, yet somehow still look great? The girls who have perfected the effortless look that we covet but have a little trouble recreating ourselves?
The secret is to keep it simple and build your style around your favorite wardrobe staples. If you’re wondering where to start, below are my five essential pieces to add to your wardrobe for perfect “cool-girl” style.
The White Tee
How many times have you stared into a full closet and thought “I have nothing to wear”? Easy to wear and to style, a comfy white tee is the perfect solution to that wardrobe dilemma.
The Leather Jacket
The ultimate cool-girl staple, a leather jacket looks good thrown over everything from a tee to a dress.
The Ankle Boot
Ankle boots are my go-to shoe, and for good reason! They will instantly up your cool factor and pair effortlessly with any type of outfit.
Whether they’re skinny or relaxed, you’ll look and feel great when your pants fit like they were made for you. This is one piece of clothing you shouldn’t be afraid to invest your money in!
A Signature Accessory
Not everything you wear has to be basic! Adding a subtle or statement accessory—like a scarf, hat, or bag—will help you stand out and is a great way to show off your personal style.
Let’s be honest; the holiday season can get stressful. Juggling gift shopping, baking and cooking, and visiting loved ones near and far can take its toll on you. Something you shouldn’t have to stress about? What to wear to each gathering and party.
It’s as important to dress festive as it is dress comfortably, so you can enjoy all your holiday company with pieces you’ll want to wear again. From the casual and comfortable to the elegant and timeless—not withholding sparkles of course—I’ve rounded up a series of makeup and style looks to guide you through the rest of the holiday season.
Holiday Outfit InspirationDoes your party have more of a casual chic or dramatic elegance dress code? We’ve got you covered either way and everywhere in between with this style guide. Get through the rest of this holiday season with flare!
No matter how old you are, there is always something new to be learned about fashion and style (Baddie Winkle, anyone?). But the 15 style lessons below are the ones you’ll want to learn as early as you can:
1. It’s all about the fit. Wear clothes that fit you right now and not where you’ve been or where you want to be.
2. Speaking of fit, find a good tailor. Don’t be afraid to raise hemlines and nip a great piece in; your clothes will look and feel better.
3. A white button-down is a must. End of story.
4. Never underestimate the power of accessories.
5. You don’t have to sacrifice comfort for style. A pair of chic flats often beats towering stilettos and a painful grimace.
6. There’s a reason certain pieces are called classics. Invest in these pieces and splurge – they’ll last you a lifetime.
7. When in doubt, wear black. It’s no-fail and figure-flattering.
8. Play with patterns and prints. Polka dots and stripes will always be a “do”.
9. Pay attention to details. Cuff your jeans or layer a few necklaces. It’s the little things that take your outfit and style to the next level.
10. Try out the seasonal trends if they really speak to you. Fashion is supposed to be fun!
11. Think in multiples. If you love a piece and it fits well, buy it in every color. You won’t regret it.
12. There are no real rules. Go ahead and wear horizontal stripes, white after Labor Day, and whatever else feels right.
13. Stand out in a crowd with fun pops of color.
14. A leather jacket is everything. Throw it over a lace dress, a t-shirt and jeans and pretty much everything else in your closet.
15. Confidence really is the best accessory.
- Ask Our Stylist
- Behind the Scenes
- Blog Love
- Crossroads Style
- Current Obsessions
- Fall Fashion
- Featured Post
- Festival Style
- Get To Know Our Team
- Hair Trends
- How To
- Jacket & Coats
- Little White Dress
- Look of the Week
- Men's Style
- Pop Culture
- Round Up
- Shop Her Look
- Spring Trends
- Statement Accessories
- Street Style
- Style Crush
- Style Icon
- Style Trendspotting
- Summer Fashion
- Summer Style
- Winter Fashion