You may have heard about it, and it’s true! There are stores that give money for used clothes, and in many instances, you can walk into them today for cash or store credit.
Maybe you’ve heard of Buffalo Exchange or Plato’s Closet? At Crossroads, we’re very similar.
Here’s how it works:
- You clean your closet out and select pieces that are still in excellent condition. Maybe they never fit right or didn’t end up being selected over other favorite pieces.
- Bring your items into any store location to sell them. In the case of Crossroads, no appointment is needed and you can even use our app to add your name to the selling waitlist before you’re even in the store.
- Decide if you want cash or store credit for the items the store selects to buy from you.
- Spend your cash or shop the store for new items to add to your wardrobe.
Wherever you decided to sell your clothes, here are three great tips for selling them.
1. Refer to Their Selling Guide
Most stores give you an idea of the trends and pieces they’re looking for with a selling guide on their website. Look for these before selecting your clothes to sell.
2. Ask About Consignment
If you have designer labels or higher-end brands, ask the store about whether they offer consignment. You usually won’t get paid until the item sells, but you’ll receive a larger percentage payout when it does. For example, see Crossroads’ consignment payouts here.
3. Look for Sell by Mail Options
If you can’t find a store location near you, you’re not out of luck. Sell by Mail options allow you to order a free bag with pre-paid postage that you can fill up and send in. Yes, that’s correct. You can sell your clothes from the convenience of home.
Good luck out there selling your clothes! It’s never a bad time for a closet refresh, and we hope to see you at our selling counter soon.